Local news briefs: Kindergarten Round-Up set
Newton USD 373 is holding the Kindergarten Round-Up from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 1 at the district elementary schools.
The event, which includes enrollment for kindergartners for the 2021-22 school year, will be held by appointment, both on site and virtually.
According to the release:
• Precautions for COVID-19 will be taken (sanitizing, social distancing, masks required) for on-site registration.
• Families are asked to complete a survey at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeSSeiJ99R6YCs4xAnr4Zgkq-nE7Sy5jDipRHpKkTHeyDsjDg/viewform?gxids=7628.
• After the survey is completed, families will be called by school staff to set up an appointment (either onsite or virtual).
Incoming kindergartners must be 5 years old by Aug. 31.
For more information, call Northridge Elementary at 316-284-6540, Slate Creek Elementary at 316-284-6550, South Breeze Elementary at 316-284-6560, Sunset Elementary at 316-284-6570,
Walton Rural Life Center at 620-837-3161 or the
district office at 316-284-6203.
Railer BPA takes awards
Six members of the Railer Business Professionals of America Team placed at regionals and qualified for nationals.
Members who placed and qualified for nationals included:
• Anthony Wedel: BPA Scholarship Winner, Kansas Merit Award, 6th Presentation Management Individual, 7th Place Fundamental Accounting.
• Ann Pomeroy: 2nd Graphic Design, 3rd Interview Skills.
• Eli Reddington: 1st Extemporaneous Speech, 5th Advanced Interview Skills,
Top Ten Parliamentary Procedure Concepts.
• Alfred Montano: 2nd Prepared Speech, 4th Advanced Interview Skills,
• Anahi and Natalie Sanchez: 3rd Place Website Design.
• Anahi Sanchez: Kansas Merit Award.
USD 373 board to meet Monday
The Newton USD 373 Board of Education will hold its regular meeting at 7 p.m. Monday at the McKinley Administrative Center Board Room.
Items on the agenda include approval of the 2021-22 Capital Outlay Plan, approval of the K-6 Student-Parent Tech Use Agreement, approval of the 2021-22 Head Start Continuation application, “future district direction, dates and tasks, approval of gift requests and professional learning surveys.
The meeting will be streamed on the Newton Schools Facebook page.