Volunteers from Westar Energy were at the Harvey County Salvation Army on Monday to give away free box fans to those in need.
"We have called some families, and went to the plaza apartments," said Barbara Lee, director of the Harvey County Salvation Army.
Westar delivered the fans, while the Harvey County Salvation Army managed applications.
On Monday, Westar brought 150 box fans.
"We will give a fan every two years, but we will give our seniors one (every year)," Lee said.
To help the most people, each household was eligible for one fan. Any fans that were not given out Monday will be made available through The Salvation Army.
The heat of summer usually leads to requests at The Salvation Army for fans, and the plan is to be able to respond this year.
Applications for the fans may be made by calling The Salvation Army at 283-3190. Applications will be accepted until all fans are distributed.
Fans provide relief from the sweltering summer heat and can be a boon for the families they go to on the day of distribution. Below are some additional safety tips to practice in the summer:
• Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles.
• Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day.
• Take frequent breaks if working outdoors.
• Use a buddy system when working in excessive heat.
• Check on family, friends and neighbors who do not have air conditioning, spend much of their time alone or are more likely to be affected by the heat.
• Check on animals frequently to ensure they are not suffering from the heat. Ensure they have water and a shady place to rest.
• Eat small meals and eat more often.
• Avoid extreme temperature changes.
• Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing.