'Pen to Paper' plays announced
For the third year, Hesston College’s “Pen to Paper to Performance” playwriting festival will showcase the work of seven local playwrights at 7 p.m., April 26 and 27, in the Keim Center Black Box Theater on the Hesston College campus.
Ranging from comedic to dramatic with subjects varying from faith to dating apps, the featured plays in the showcase are:
• “Citizen’s Meeting” by Lois Thieszen Preheim
• “Current Events” by Patricia Middleton
• “Graveyard Shift” by Caitlin Waits
• “Swipe Right” by Travis Duerkson and Mitch Stutzman
• “The Girl Who Could Fly But Then Didn’t” by Andre Swartley
• “Towering Toward Heaven With Hazel” by Loretta Baumgartner
In addition to student actors, two Hesston College professors are also part of the cast – Michele Hershberger, Bible and ministry professor, and Ken Rodgers, music professor.
Each play runs about 10 minutes in length, and the event is rated PG for mild language. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for students. Tickets will be sold at the door only starting at 6:15 p.m. each night. Seating is limited, so early arrival is encouraged. Each playwright will receive a portion of the box office earnings.
Each night’s performance will include a 30-minute pre-show by the student-led On A Lark improv comedy troupe beginning at 6:30 p.m.