A portion of West First was closed for several hours Jan. 29 as Newton Fire/EMS fought a house fire in the 200 block of W. First.

The department responded to a house fire at 209 W. First at 10:04 a.m. There was one person— a male juvenile — in the house when the fire started. He got out of the home safely.  A family of four was reported to live in the home.

Crews from Station No. 1 and Station No. 2 responded. They found the home about half engulfed in flame when they arrived. The fire was under control by about 11:30 a.m.

"The fire was complicated because the house had been added to several times with different roof pitches and spaces," said Cory Lehman, Division Chief with Newton Fire/EMS.

According to initial findings by the fire marshal, the fire started in the back of the home in a porch area. It spread to the attic of the home. The cause of the fire has been initially ruled as accidental. 

According to Harvey County property records, the house is a two bedroom home constructed in 1900. The property contains a second home, with an address of 209 1/2. That home was undamaged in the fire. According to Harvey County records, both homes are owned by Guillermo Campos of Newton.

"My guess is a total loss," Lehman said.

Initial damage estimates were for $10,000 to the structure of the home, and about the same amount for the contents.