Pam Dixon was involved in serious car accident Dec. 1, one that put her in the hospital in ICU for several days and has already resulted in multiple surgeries.

"God has a plan for her, that is why he left her here," said Sharon Priest, Dixon's mother. "Otherwise, he would have taken her Friday."

Dixon was moved out of ICU Dec. 5, with a surgery scheduled for later that day.

Her family and friends of Dixon have started an online fundraiser to support the single mother who faces "months" of recovery.

"She has a lot of physical support," Priest said. "This is designed to do what insurance doesn't."

Following surgeries, at least two weeks of physical therapy in the hospital is expected. She will likely be on a liquid diet, and will be unable to work as she recovers. In addition to an online fund-raiser, donation jars are popping up in Newton to support a woman who worked at Dillons and Kwik Shop in Newton before taking a job with Cox Communications in Wichita earlier this year.

Dixon was on her way to work when tragedy struck — the result of a dog wandering onto I-135. According to the Kansas Highway Patrol, a dog was crossing the interstate on I-135 southbound at milepost 17 when a Chevy Tahoe driven by Loni R. Mayfield, 50, of Hillsboro slowed at the crest of the hill to make way for the dog, causing a Hyundai Elantra driven by Dixon to strike the rear of the Tahoe. A third car, a Toyota Sienna driven by Susan J. Jantzen, 63, of Hillsboro was struck by debris from the Tahoe and the Elantra.

Dixon was transported to St. Francis Medical Center.

According to the organizers of a fundraiser listed at, Dixon was "flung into the windshield." She was taken to the Trauma ICU where her blood pressure was kept low until they were able to stabilize her. Doctors have grafted her aorta, and also performed surgery on her femur —  the thighbone which is the longest and strongest bone in the body.

She has several broken bones throughout her body, several lacerations on her face and other complications as well.

"She is a strong, feisty woman and she will pull through this," wrote Tanahia Lilley, organizer of the fundraiser. "It will just be a long road to recovery. Because of the recovery process, Pam will be out of work for a long time and will need as much help as possible to help raise her kids and pay the bills."

Priest said Dixon was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident.

"Maybe this can become a teaching thing," Priest said.

The online fundraiser is seeking $50,000 to support Dixon and her recovery. As of Dec. 4, $1,318 had been raised for her recovery.

The online fundraiser, and updates on Dixon's condition, can be found at