Want to relive this past week? Check out our roundup of the top stories - and the cutest video of the week. Did we miss anything that you think should be a "top story"? Comment below!
News of the week
Here are the top news stories from the past week:
- There hasn’t been progress on the debt ceiling talks, and on Friday morning, President Barack Obama gave a press conference and urged a Senate compromise. Obama called for a bipartisan solution from Senate, as the House is facing internal dissention from Republicans over Speaker John Boehner’s plan. The debt ceiling deadline is Tuesday.
- An advertisement for a makeup company has been banned in Britain because it’s been ruled false advertising. The ads – for L'Oreal's Maybelline and Lancome brands – feature Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington and were airbrushed to make the models’ skin appear unnaturally smooth.
- "I woke up and saw a figure in our hotel bedroom, and I thought I was dreaming." - Alex Trebek, talking about the incident that led to him tearing his Achilles. The 71-year-old Trebek tried to chase after the thief and injured himself.
- Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe announced Tuesday a proposal to shutter 3,653 post offices in an effort to help save the U.S. Postal Service money. If the plan is OK'd, the first closings will take place in January, and some offices might be replaced by smaller ones inside grocery stores.
- "It did not establish a formal cause of death, and we await the results of further toxicology tests." - Police statement after the autopsy of singer Amy Winehouse, who died Saturday. Toxicology tests could take two to four weeks.
- Anders Behring Breivik admitted to a judge Monday that he was the one who carried out the bombing and mass shooting in Norway last week. The death toll in the attacks was revised to 76. Breivik told the judge he killed people because the government was promoting multiculturalism. Breivik will be held in jail until his next hearing.
Video of the week
This week, a Belgian zoo welcomed a baby okapi to its fold. Watch the cuteness below.
GateHouse News Service