Renovations to the Casey's General Store at 724 E. Lincoln in Hesston led to an emergency situation Thursday afternoon.

During the demolition of the old station, fuel tanks were being dug up for removal. While holes were being cut in the sides to allow for safe transportation, a spark ignited the gas fumes and a fireball shot out the side of one tank, according to Director of Emergency Services Russ Buller. Hesston Emergency Services was called to the scene at 12:50 p.m. and had vacated the site by 1:15.

Two contracted workers were injured in the burst, with one sustaining minor injuries and turning down medical transport. The other was taken to the St. Francis (Wichita) burn unit in critical but stable condition.