At their annual Executive Board meeting in Salina, the officers and local leaders of the Kansas Silver Haired Legislature selected the following eight issues to recommend to the statewide body at their October meeting in Topeka:
1. A resolution urging the Kansas Legislature to support and fund transportation for the elderly.
2. A resolution urging the Kansas Legislature and the governor to fully fund all KPERS obligations and to stop delaying employer contributions in order to balance the state general fund.
3. A resolution urging the Kansas Legislature and the governor to fund a cost of living adjustment for retired members of KPERS.
4. A resolution urging the Kansas Legislature to continue support for the expansion of Medicaid in Kansas.
5. A bill to repeal the Property Tax Lid bill, which was passed in 2016 and is scheduled to go into effect in January of 2018.
6. A bill to provide property tax relief for qualifying seniors with incomes under $22,500 per year.
7. A bill to require insurance companies to report to the state when a person's car insurance is dropped.
8. A bill to provide economic support for grandparents who become foster parents to their grandchildren.
— Wayne Valentine, Newton. Area representative to Silver Haired Legislature