SIOUX CITY, Iowa — The Wichita Wingnuts won a franchise record 12th straight win to stop the Sioux City Explorers 12-5 Tuesday night at Lewis and Clark Field.
Wichita took a 6-0 lead through four innings. Sioux City got back in the game with three runs in the fifth, but Wichita posted four in the sixth to break the game open.
Ryan Scoles pitched five innings for Wichita to get the win, allowing three runs on seven hits with a walk and two strikeouts.
Daniel Bennett, Joshua Stone, Lincoln Holdzkom and Andrew Aizenstadt each pitched an inning.
Sioux City starter Andy Noga lasted just 3 2-3 innings in the loss. The Explorers used four other pitchers in the game.
C.J. Ziegler went two for three hitting for Wichita with a home run and three RBIs. Jake Kahaulelio went three for five hitting with two RBIs. Jared McDonald went two for four with two RBIs. Brent Clevlen went two for four with an RBI. Abel Nieves went three for six hitting.
Adrian Martinez led the Explorers at the plate, going two for four with a home run and two RBIs. Peter Barrows went two for four and Leugim Barroso went two for five.
Wichita improves to 40-18. Sioux City drops to 23-24. The Wingnuts take a five-game lead over Gary SouthShore in the American Association Central Division. Sioux City falls 16.5 games behind Wichita.
Wichita is off today and hosts Lincoln at 7:05 p.m. Thursday to open a four-game series.
Wichita 230 104 110 —12 15 0
Sioux C. 000 032 000 —5 12 1
Scoles (W, 2-0), Bennett 6, Stone 7, Holdzkom 8, Aizenstadt 9 and Armstrong; Noga (L, 3-8), Olson 4, Stewart 6, Rodriguez 6, Lucero 7 and Martinez. HR — W: Ziegler (18). SC: Martinez (2). Time — 3:07. Attendance — 846.
Newton Public Golf Course
1. Bob Dilli, Harold Reid, Mel Buxman.
2. Carvin Thiessen, Al Gann, Orlyn Zehr.
3. Roger Bratland, Bob Schmidt.
4. Tom Fickenworth, Bill Rosing, Fred Caruthers.
1. Carvin Thiessen, George Eason, Bob Smith, Jim Zook -4.
2. Dave Hestand, Harold Reid, Bob Dilli, Walt Long -2.
3. Will Martling, Darryl Hayes, Al Gann, Leo Griffith -2.
4. Ed Graf, Tom Fickenworth, Bob Schmidt, Orlyn Zehr -1.
5. Roger Bratland, Wayne Stevens, Tim Holdeman, Fred Caruthers -1.
Closest to pin 2 — Fred Caruthers. Closest to pin 7 — Harold Reid.
Next play — Tuesday.
Fox Ridge Senior Men
1. Dave Stallbaumer, Narci Larez, Jerry Friesen, Marvin Richards 30.
2. Milt Fowler, Rob Younkin, Bob Gaede, Tom Pryor 31.
3. Dan Schaffer, Don Korber, Fred Nibarger, Gene Nelson 33.
Closest to hole 3 — Ray Ruggles. Longest putt on 9 — Narci Larez.
Page 2 of 2 - Next play — 9 a.m. Monday.
Wedgewood Senior Men
1. Fred Franklin, Gene McKasson, Jerry Schmidt, Don Baston -4.
2. Don Yoder, Wil Besore, Roman Mannabach, Gene Harper -4.
3. Bob Wilson, Rick Tolen, Dave VanSickle, Dale Garver -4.
Closest to pin 3 — Dan Schaffer. Closest to pin 9 on second shot — Rob Younkin.
Next play — 9 a.m. Thursday.
Pine Edge Men
1. Mark Lindenberger, Rick Krehbiel, Clyde Goering.
2. Randy Jones, Kris Lindenberger, Myron Schmidt.
Closest to the pin — Gary Voth. Longest putt — Richard Andrus.
1. Kris Lindenberger, Randy Jones, Myron Schmidt.
2. Karl Brubaker, Delbert Peters, Jeremy Hitschmann.
Closest to the pin — Clyde Goering. Longest putt — Kris Lindenberger.
1. Rick Krehbiel, Chet Roberts, Randy Jones.
2. Mike Cavanaugh, Delbert Peters, Dale Dick.
Closest to the pin — Randy Jones. Longest putt — Kris Lindenberger.
Next play — Tuesday.