Frank W. Wilson passed away late Sunday night, June 9, 2013, at the age of 92, after a sudden illness.

Frank W. Wilson passed away late Sunday night, June 9, 2013, at the age of 92, after a sudden illness. He no doubt can be found helping St. Peter with accounting and other administrative chores. He leaves his acquaintances and nurses at Golden Living Center wondering now what he is up to. Frank leaves his local friends who knew his caring attitude and sharp wit.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Virginia (Bransfield), his parents Steve and Abbie Wilson of Arkansas City, and his brother Woodrow (Nina) of Newton. Survivors include his daughter, Cindy (Tom) Ziegler of Grand Lake, Okla., and his son, Mike (Mary Sue) Wilson of Leavenworth, five grandchildren, Jeanne Long, Bridget (Don) Taylor, Sarah (David) Pennington, Derek Denney, Beth (Travis) Stafford, and 13 great-grandchildren.
Frank and Virginia operated Wilson Insurance Agency starting in 1955 with Virginia running the Insurance end and Frank taking care of the Accounting and Tax Preparation. Frank arrived in Leavenworth upon enlisting in the Army in 1942 and met Virginia Bransfield who he married shortly thereafter. He was assigned to the Reception Center and became the Sergeant Major one year later at the rank of E-7. Prior to that experience he had attended the Bryant Stratton Business College in Chicago for four years. Once the war ended he stayed in Leavenworth and joined the Reserves. They were activated during the Korean War and he reached First Lieutenant rank before his final discharge back to Leavenworth.
Frank liked politics as did his father-in-law, William Bransfield, and was active locally. He was elected to two terms of Finance Commissioner and decided to run for Mayor in 1967. He won that race also, tallying over 84% of the votes cast for Mayor versus the incumbent. Frank was the last elected Mayor of Leavenworth. During his tenure both Select Products and Hallmark were lured to town. The Centennial Bridge was paid for and the sewer treatment plant became operational. No longer was raw sewage allowed to flow into the Missouri River and the City garbage dump by the river was closed. In those days there was no gang problem and for the most part kids didn't know what drugs were.
Funeral Mass will be at St. Francis De Sales church in Lansing at 11 a.m., Friday. Friends may call Thursday evening from 6 to 8 p.m. at Davis Funeral Chapel. Condolences may sent to