In the past month gas prices have jump over 40 cents a gallon which just makes me cringe each time I drive by a gas station. To make it a little less painful Iím using the following tips to find cheaper gas around town.
- Use Smartphone Apps or Website. Smartphone apps like Gasbuddy, Gas Cubby, Cheap Gas!, YP Yellow Pages & Gas Prices can help you find the cheapest gas prices on the go. If you donít have a smartphone check out prices online at Automotive.com, FuelMeUp.com, GasBuddy.com and GasPriceWatch.com before you head out.
- Location! Location! Location! Have you noticed that gas station along highways are 5-10 cents higher than prices a few miles down the road? This is also true for gas prices in the city versus in the suburbs.
- Loyalty Programs. Hy-Vee, Price-Chopper, and other major grocery stores offer loyalty programs that include discounts at the pump. I have friends who rave about their gas saving at Dillionís gas stations when they purchase gift cards during a 4x points promotion.
- Check out Wholesale Clubs. Gas prices at wholesale clubs such as Costco or Samís Club tend to have cheaper gas.
- Pay Cash. Some gas stations will offer a lower price per galloon if you pay cash. Ask the inside if they have an unadvertised cash discount per gallon on gas.
- Get a Rebate. Look into credit cards or gas cards that offer double the point on gas.
- Be Brand Specific. Small gasoline companies usually offer gas a few cents lower to try to compete with the major brands.