|
|
The Kansan - Newton, KS
  • GO-TO GAL: City-wide garage sale is May 8

    • email print
  • Q. Is Newton having a city-wide garage sale this year?

    A. I would say no, but thatís too cruel of an April Foolís Day joke, even for me.

    Yes, The Newton Kansan again is sponsoring a city-wide garage sale. If you missed last yearís, you should throw yourself a great big pity party, because it was so good I wanted to buy an SUV just to have more room to haul stuff.

    But enough about me, and back to the garage sales.

    Newtonís Second Annual City-Wide Garage Sale will be Saturday, May 8.

    Itíll be a great day to get up early, load up the fanny pack with small bills and buy lots of stuff you donít need.

    If, on the other hand, youíre more interested in de-cluttering up than cluttering up your house, feel free to have a sale of your own.

    Ads are due to the Kansan by Monday, May 3. For $25, your ad is in the paper for two days (Friday and Saturday) and online, and you get up to 35 words, so you can mention all sorts of treasures so lovely you canít wait to part with them.

    The sale also will be publicized in Augusta, McPherson, El Dorado, Pratt, Wellington, Greensburg, Pittsburg, St. John and Dodge City.

    You get two signs and an inventory sheet to help you with your sale. Translation: Itís a lot of bang for your buck.

    To place an ad, call the Kansan at 283-1500 or e-mail classifieds@the-kansan.com.

    Q. Is it known when the Ash Street Bridge will be demolished? I need to know when to plan an alternate route.

    A. It turns out youíve got plenty of time to Google-map your way around the construction.

    The Ash Street Bridge is currently under design for replacement, but the replacement project is scheduled for sometime after 2012, said Suzanne Loomis, city engineer and director of public works.

    This bridge is part of the state replacement program and is eligible for federal bridge replacement funds, which means federal funds pay for 80 percent of the project and local funds pay for the other 20 percent.

    The structural inventory indicates an appraisal rating of 3 for the bridge. Thatís on a 1-to-10 scale, with 10 being the best.

    The existing bridge was constructed in 1966 and reconstructed in 1982.

    The existing structure has load limits posted, Loomis said.

    And on that note, I bid you all farewell. Happy April, everyone!

        calendar